Sunday 29 November 2015

Simply Seasonal: Advent Decorating - Home Tour

Now that the first Sunday of Advent has crept up on me, my thoughts are turning to decorating the house for Advent. Even though I am not religious, I simply love to decorate the house and if you have small children, it is certainly a magical time of year.

One of my favourite things in the world is to go out for a long walk in the woods and collect foliage and pine cones that I can then use to make my own Advent decorations. One of the things I always make, is my own Advent “wreath” (only it is not a wreath but a large, decorated glass plate). The ring or wheel of the Advent wreath of evergreens decorated with candles was a symbol in northern Europe long before the arrival of Christianity. There is evidence of pre-Christian Germanic people using wreathes with lit candles during the cold and dark December days as a sign of hope in the future warm and extended-sunlight days of Spring.


Another thing I always decorate is my mantelpiece. Even though I would prefer natural greenery, I have opted for the practical solution of using fake ivey (covered with silver glitter) and fairy lights which give a lovely, cosy feeling at night time.


One thing that cannot be missing from any advent decorating theme, especially if you have children, is an advent calendar. I bought this re-usable calendar years ago when my boys were still little and even now, with the eldest being 17, it is still a must!


I tend to have different colour schemes for different areas of the house and whereas the main living room / dining room is usually decked out in white and silver tones, I use a more traditional colour scheme in the kitchen / utility area, including wooden decorations from Germany.


Whatever your decorating style is, remember that less is more. Aim for that cosy feeling and little touches of Christmas which will help you relax and unwind.

Look out for my 'Advent Things To Do' and inspirations over the next few weeks!

Sabine

No comments:

Post a Comment